Sunday, December 11, 2011

A glimpse into broadcast meteorology...

         After I graduate college in May I plan on look for a job as a TV weatherperson.  In the meteorology world it may not be the most looked to profession but I like it because it gives us a chance as scientists to explain something complex to the general public.  As a TV weatherperson you also get a sense of community involvement and most of all you get to share your love for the weather with the viewers.  In the summer I was able to intern at a CBS affiliate in Rochester, NY.   At this station I learned all the inter-workings of how a weather broadcast gets made.  I was also able to get practice in front of the green screen and work on graphics and monitor severe weather.  I also got involved in the community involvement aspect of the profession where I attended a few Backyard BBQs where the Chief Meteorologist would do a live broadcast from a viewer's backyard and mingle with them and answer any questions they had.  It was a great way to teach more about meteorology and gain the respect of the public while gaining viewership.
        This past semester I took part in a broadcasting class at my school, Plymouth State University, where every Monday (and occasionally Fridays) I created and taped my own weather broadcast to be seen on a public television station.  My broadcasts can be seen at this website vortex.plymouth.edu/tv/files as the files saved as Norris(month & date). m2p.mpeg.  I've learned that the most important thing about broadcasting is to be able to show your personality while still coming across as someone with plenty of knowledge and experience and who can be trusted.   It has been a ton of fun and I know I still have plenty of work to do but I am very excited for the career I have ahead of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment