Thursday, April 4, 2013

Expanding Your Horizon

To my readers and to my fellow post-undergrad twenty-somethings:

I'm writing about something different tonight, but really not all that different than some things I've posted before.  There can be many relations drawn from this topic into the disaster relief world, but hopefully you will be able to relate this to your life as a whole.
Since I was sixteen I have been a part of what I believe the most inspiring organization I have come by.  This organization is Water for South Sudan, Inc.  The organization was started back in 2003 by my friend, a former lost boy, Salva Dut.  He began the organization after he found is father had fallen ill with a water borne illness. He then decided he wanted to do something to help his family and the rest of his community to not fall ill to a preventable disease like water borne illnesses.  Since 2003 the organization has drilled over 150 bore-hole wells in South Sudan, every one of them still operating today.
The reason I am writing about Water for South Sudan is because earlier today my friend posted an article on Facebook titled "25 Things To Do Before You Turn 25".  The list covers everything from going to a local diner at 5:30am to become acquainted with fellow strangers, to jumping into an exciting and sensual relationship. But I couldn't help but be left thinking that the list was missing something.  If I could add to this list I would suggest that you get involved in a project larger than yourself.  For me this project has been Water for South Sudan, but it could be as simple as taking an elderly neighbor out to lunch once a week, or cleaning up a local park or beach once a year.
It is impossible to put a value on what you get out of doing something like this as it is continuously giving.  It is one thing to put a dollar, or some other amount in an envelope and mail it across the country, but to give to an organization and then see the children and families who are directly helped by a well that brings their village clean water is an experience in itself.  And it's just water! Something we take so easily for granted here in America, putting fruit flavoring in it, asking for extra ice, or using purifying filters.  For the people of South Sudan it is not just a simple beverage, but a life-sustaining, opportunity-granting resource.
So I say be selfless and get lost in something bigger than yourself.  Through this I guarantee you will meet some of the most heartening people and gain some of the best stories.  It is an honor to be friends with Salva Dut.  He is a man that defines the word unselfish, never taking any credit for the inspiring work he does and continuously thanking every volunteer, every child that reads his book, and every board member. He has gone through more trials and tribulations than anyone I know and continues to greet every obstacle with a smile.

I am only 22, but if there is something that I am most proud of in my life it is deciding to volunteer with Water for South Sudan.  Being a part of this organization has shaped me to become the person I am today.  It has given me a new outlook on life and the challenges I may face.  Simply put, becoming part of something bigger than I am, that touches more people than I could imagine, continues to put a smile on my face every day.  And why shouldn't you smile every day!?  So DVR your favorite TV show and find something to be passionate about and jump into it! It doesn't have to cost anything and what you get out of it will last until you are 125.  Then after you open yourself up to this new passion share it with your significant other or a friend!  They will love to hear about your new experience and maybe they'll join you sometime!
There is a quote that says "Volunteer - not so you can build your resume, but so you can build yourself."  Let's face it, we're not even 25, we're still kids at heart, we are still finding our place in this gigantic universe and figuring out who we are and what we want to do.  So give a piece of yourself, expand yourself. When you look back in 10, 20, 50 years from now I am positive you will be happy about what you've done; about taking a risk to help something you believe in.  At the least you will get out of it a brilliant story or two, and a check mark next to a point on a list of things to do.


The list that inspired me to share my thoughts: "25 Things To Do Before You Turn 25" by Stephanie Georgopulos http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/25-things-to-do-before-you-turn-25/ (Thanks for sharing Alyssa!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment